Unfortunately, yes. Even though fall brings about so much refreshing beauty, a new allergy season rears its ugly head for a lot of people.
Why, you ask? Our team at AFC Urgent Care Indian Trail offers up some helpful information below.
Are Spring Allergies and Fall Allergies the Same Thing?
While spring and fall allergies induce the same types of symptoms, those symptoms are typically caused by different allergens. Most spring allergy symptoms are caused by tree pollens, different growing grasses and the pollination of blooming flowers.
The most constant floating allergens during the fall, though, are ragweed pollens and the presence of mold. Ragweed starts growing in the middle of August and usually dies out in the beginning of November. Mold grows much more commonly in the fall because of the dark and wet environments caused by large piles of leaves.
What to Do When You Feel Allergies Coming On
- Buy and take some over-the-counter antihistamines and decongestants.
- Keep track of the pollen count outside. If it’s high, limit your time outdoors.
- Vacuum and mop indoors to limit allergens that have made their way inside.
- Keep windows and doors closed to keep allergens out.
Is There Anything I Can Do to Prevent My Allergies From Coming Back Next Year?
Not really, unfortunately. While things like reducing stress, changing your diet and exercising more often support the health of your immune system, what you’re allergic to will stick around for a good while.
Scientists and experts alike do say, though, that there is a chance that you can grow out of your allergies as you age. To increase your chances of outgrowing your allergies, the aforementioned lifestyle changes are a great place to start.
Other Lifestyle Changes to Lessen Allergy Symptoms
- Drink more water.
- Brush your pet more often to reduce stray hairs in the home.
- If you can’t stand your allergy symptoms, talk with your doctor to see if there’s a prescription that could work for you.
If your allergies are taking away the joys of life, come visit us at AFC Urgent Care Indian Trail and we can help improve the quality of your life!