The holidays and new year are full of excitement, but this year is a little different for obvious reasons. While falling ill to the coronavirus or flu this year isn’t totally unavoidable, there are things you can do as a parent to lessen the risk of your child getting sick.
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Indian Trail is passionate about helping your family stay healthy during the pandemic and beyond! Read on as we provide some helpful tips for parents to consider for their kids during this crazy year.
What Are Some Things in the Home That Are Frequently Dirty?
The short answer is highly trafficked areas and frequently touched surfaces. This would mean places like your kitchen and bedrooms and things like the toilet and your kids’ favorite toys or hobby items.
Experts state that one of the best ways to combat a child’s illness is by keeping these often-used areas and surfaces clean. Another helpful tip is to encourage your children to wash their hands before and after handling any of the items listed below.
Germy Items in the Home
- Technological devices like game controllers and TV remotes
- Toothbrushes and toothbrush holders
- Pet toys
- Dirty laundry
- Musical instruments
How Can I Encourage Healthy Habits in My Kids?
One of the best ways to do this is by implementing your own healthy habits! Kids generally learn by example, so setting an example of cleanliness while not being totally overbearing about it will increase your child’s risk of striving for their own healthy habits.
We’ve listed some healthy habits the whole family can practice below.
Healthy Habits for the Whole Family
- Drink plenty of water every day.
- Be active throughout the week. The CDC recommends 150 minutes every week of moderate-level activity.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and often for at least 20 seconds (or the length of the ABC song for younger kids).
- Keep your bedroom tidy. A clean space can help eliminate bacteria and germs that lead to illness.
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Indian Trail is passionate about keeping you and your family safe and healthy this holiday season! Consider visiting us today if you or a member of the family is feeling under the weather.