Maskne is a real struggle for many of us. And with masks and necessary COVID-19 precautions here to stay for the foreseeable future, that pesky acne might not be going away anytime soon.
Don’t worry, though, because our team at AFC Urgent Care Indian Trail has some helpful tips to share on how to deal with maskne.
What Is Maskne?
“Maskne” is basically just acne that develops under your face mask. When you breathe or talk, your mask tends to trap in a lot of hot air.
This air creates a warm, humid environment and an ideal setting for yeast and bacteria to grow. Experts also say that the bacterial imbalances and friction from your mask can promote acne as well as something called perioral dermatitis. This is when fine pimples appear around the nose and mouth.
Things That Make Maskne Worse
- Wearing a mask material that irritates your skin
- Wearing a mask that doesn’t fit properly
- Wearing a dirty mask or a cloth mask that hasn’t been cleaned
How Can I Avoid Maskne?
Because of the humid environment that masks create, it might be difficult to avoid maskne altogether; however, there are ways to treat it.
A couple of good maskne treatments include using a good foaming cleanser and occasionally washing your face with a dandruff shampoo that has ketoconazole or selenium sulfide in it. Both of these things can be calming to the skin and prevent excess yeast buildup.
Other Ways to Treat Maskne
- Take your mask off when it’s safe to do so to let your skin get some air.
- Wash your face with gentle soap and water in the morning and at night.
- Keep cleansing wipes with you.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Make sure your mask is clean.
Have you been dealing with maskne and don’t know where to turn? We can provide some assistance at AFC Urgent Care Indian Trail! Stop by or reach out to us today.