Much emphasis is frequently put on the importance of good physical health. While your physical health is obviously an extremely worthwhile investment, staying mentally healthy is just as important. How you feel and what you think will impact the rest of your body, so don’t sweep feelings of anxiety or depression under the rug.
Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Indian Trail highlights the importance of prioritizing mental health during the pandemic.
Is It Normal to Feel Anxious?
Yes, and if you do feel anxious, you’re not alone. In fact, in a recent study done by the Washington Post, a third of Americans show signs of clinical anxiety or depression.
This year’s pandemic is likely the first of its kind that any of us have ever experienced, so don’t be so hard on yourself if you’re having a hard time coping with it. If you find yourself having feelings of overwhelming anxiety or depression, call 911 to get the help you need.
Symptoms of Anxiety and Depression
- Feeling frequently nervous or tense
- An increased heart rate
- Having a sense of impending danger or panic
- Decreased energy
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- Difficulty sleeping
How Can I Boost My Mental Health?
Among many things, making sure you’re a part of some sort of community, whether it just be talking to a friend every day or something like a book club, is a great way to stay mentally healthy. Being a part of a community gives you a sense of purpose, fellowship and belonging.
Also, if you do have feelings of anxiety or depression, take them seriously. Your mind is an invaluable part of your body and explaining away anxious feelings can only make things worse. In addition to the suggestions below, find someone you can talk to about your thoughts.
A Few Tips to Keep Your Mental Health Intact
- Stay active. Regular exercise boosts mental and physical health.
- Eat well. Your brain needs nutrients in order to stay healthy and function well, just like the rest of your body.
- Do something that you have control over, like making your bed or washing the dishes. Doing a task you can manage will help give yourself a sense of accomplishment and power.
- Do your best to stick to a sleep schedule.
AFC Urgent Care Indian Trail is very passionate about the importance of mental health. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or are in need of medical attention.